Re: Guidance for spam-control on IETF mailing lists

2002-03-16 07:00:04
With that in mind, when a mechanism that delays submissions from
non-subscribers is first employed, some number of people will "trip"
over it.  They usually whine about it but once the rules are explained
to them they realize they do have a responsibility to pay attention to
how they use their email.

If by "paying attention to how they use their email"  you mean that the
author should pick his From address on a per-message basis, so that he
uses the subscription address for that list, I emphatically disagree.
If nothing else this presumes that the author wants to see personal
replies to the messages he sends to the list to go to the same mailbox
as other traffic that comes from the list.  This is not a reasonable
assumption.

I'm all for reducing the amount of spam on WG lists as long as the filters
don't impair genuine contributions.  But I'm fed up with WG lists that
expect me to remove my shoes, kneel, bow in the direction of Mae West, and
precisely utter some strange incantation, just so that I can get past that
list admin's parochial idea of the responsible way to send mail.  And I've
seen too many cases where the purpose of these meaningless hoops seemed to
be to exclude useful contributions from outsiders merely because they didn't
know the secret handshake.

Keith