Re: IETF Meetings - High Registration Fees

2002-03-18 10:40:03
--On Monday, March 18, 2002 15:59 +0000 Paul Robinson <paul(_at_)ICONOPLEX(_dot_)CO(_dot_)UK> wrote:

In addition, I still find it amazing that people are justifying costs due
to  the number of breakfasts and cookies being served. The word
'ludicrous' is  overused on this list, but I think I've found a situation
it applies to -  please, ask yourself whether the cookies are really
needed. :-)

Yes, they are - serious brain food is necessary. Breakfast on-site makes it possible for folks to meet and talk before the meeting starts; afternoon coffee and cookies help keep you awake because you were meeting late into the night the night before, and also provide another venue where you can meet and talk about things.

For those on a limited budget, it's also just about possible to survive on "pre-paid" food and dinner, cutting out the costs associated with lunch. (Thanks again to those folks that bought me lunches in SLC.)

Actually, like I suggested in my previous mail, I suspect that certain
individuals involved with the IETF are quite happy with hob-nobbing with
the big multi-nationals and don't give a damn what lone consulants and
developers who actually have to deploy the technologies think,

I'll admit that it does sometimes feel that way and that as an individual it becomes very hard to be involved (I'd echo some of Graham Klyne's comments here).

and I'm
beginning to strongly suspect that if all individual participants crawled
under a rock and never showed any further interest in the IETF, many
people would break open the champagne. Shame really. Ho-hum.

I don't quite get that feeling, but I think it's something that needs to be considered.