RE: Netmeeting - NAT issue

2002-03-20 11:10:03

(caveat emptor: I have an end system^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H host bias)

There are several good reasons to have BOTH a border and end system
depth in defense.

From an architectural view, the advantage of edge/border elements is
that they are in a better position to protect against
distributed/correlated attacks. (the downside is how fast do they have
to run).

Due to the nature of the "last bug" and its unwillingness to get fixed,
it will be necessary to  multiple points of security to avoid single
points of failure - good engineering.  Hosts should handle as close to
everything as possible.

Security through obscurity is always laughed at, but one of the big
roles of intermediate firewalls is to provide a blinding function.
Sure, the thief knows I have a wallet somewhere in my house when I am
asleep.  The fact that he does not know exactly where it is  helps.  It
is not an absolute solution, it is just another layer in the onion.(and
there are lots of other reasons for "blinding boxes").

In most enterprises there is separation of management responsibilities.
It is natural to think that the roles and responsibilities of edge vs
host based protection are different.  The controller of a company is
responsible for being sure the business is conforming to a set of rules.
The line of business owner is implementing a business, generally aware
and conforming to the rules, but does make mistakes, overt or
inadvertent (one LOB not understanding what another LOB is doing and
potentially breaking an aggregate rule).   I agree with the earlier
comments on checks and balances.

  (in a just world we would not need a justice system, but I think we
have concluded that a lot of the internet resides in the real world)