IPv6 (was: NetMeeting - NAT issue)

2002-03-20 13:20:02
On Tuesday, March 19, 2002, at 07:17 PM, Keith Moore wrote:

[...] The reason I'm upset about NATs is that they make it difficult to
build distributed and peer-to-peer apps, and they encourage a model
where the net is centrally controlled (not by a single center, but
by a relatively small number of providers who control the center). [...]

I sympathize completely.  I'm upset too.

However, I would observe that an architecture that requires an application layer gateway in the customer premises equipment at every site demarcation point is one we've all seen before [*].

We should not be surprised that such an architecture leads to a network that is effectively controlled by a small number of powerful service providers. It should seem eerily familiar by now.

I continue to hold the opinion that the widespread use of NAT in the Internet is actually a sign that the IAB may have finally lost the first round of the game, and I prefer to interpret the slow pace of IPv6 deployment simply that round two hasn't started yet.

So. Where is the hole in IPv6 that will allow a small number of powerful service providers to obtain effective control of the network by requiring an ALG in the CPE at every site? I know it's not the address space. Maybe it's in the admission control policy. I don't know. I'm not really very smart, so I need some help here.

Has anybody done a threat analysis?  If so, can I read it?

--
j h woodyatt <jhw(_at_)wetware(_dot_)com>

[*] I think Steve Deering has made a similar observation.