Re: Netmeeting - NAT issue

2002-03-20 10:50:03
From: "james woodyatt" <jhw(_at_)wetware(_dot_)com>
I could be wrong about this, but I really believe this is the root cause
of the NAT problem, not ignorant users or self-interested appliance
vendors.

I don't believe that there's a NAT problem.  There are many
NAT problems, and the opportunity to use more addresses than
are available to you is only one of them.  It's increasingly
the case that NATs are being used to enforce policy domain
separation, including security, and to the extent that that
function is established and spreading it's very much the fault
of vendors.  There's a challenge here, and that challenge is
to support site-local policy in a way that's consistent with
the design of the underlying technology.  Right now the
mechanisms that vendors are selling and users are buying are
too willy-nilly not to break.

Melinda