Re: [idn] Moving Towards UTF8 vs ASCII(ACE) Forever

2002-03-21 15:50:02
Provably false: well-coded applications know the limitations of domain
names, and do not even attempt to make requests for non-ASCII names.

First of all, I disagree with the "well-coded" part because I believe a
well-coded application will do the dns request as is and allow the dns
response to determine the validity of a domain name.

Nope.  You can almost certainly give your user a better error message if
you validate the input yourself.

For that matter, a well-designed application will not even make it
possible to enter anything but ASCII in an input field (whatever) for a
domain name.  Basic rule of usability: making user mistakes impossible is
better than catching them after the fact.

Secondly, if this is
the case, then the plugin should be intercepting the input to the app and
not the output.  It is still a possibility.

No, because that input is highly application-specific.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
|jstracke(_at_)incentivesystems(_dot_)com   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Diplomacy: The art of letting someone else have your way|