Re: [idn] Moving Towards UTF8 vs ASCII(ACE) Forever

2002-03-21 14:50:02
Edmon Chung wrote:

If we collectively decide that it is NEVER going to happen and we
will stay with ACE FOREVER, then, we should stop here and live happily
ever
after with ACE.  But if the general direction or consensus is to move
towards UTF8 eventually, then, we should start the work now.

That does not follow.  A UTF-8 transition would take a very long time
(your idea about "plugins" is nonsense; there is no plugin architecture
that can solve this problem for every app--probably not even for any app),
so we need a good ACE solution for at least the next 5-10 years.  Starting
on a UTF-8 plan would consume resources that could better go into making
the ACE solution work.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
|jstracke(_at_)incentivesystems(_dot_)com   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|"Music is not a noun, it's a verb." --John Perry Barlow |