Re: [idn] Moving Towards UTF8 vs ASCII(ACE) Forever

2002-03-22 10:40:03

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Stracke" <jstracke(_at_)incentivesystems(_dot_)com>
That does not follow.  A UTF-8 transition would take a very long time
(your idea about "plugins" is nonsense; there is no plugin architecture
that can solve this problem for every app--probably not even for any app),
so we need a good ACE solution for at least the next 5-10 years.  Starting
on a UTF-8 plan would consume resources that could better go into making
the ACE solution work.

This is not true.  A plugin could be "non-nonsensibly" created to intercept
all domain requests and responses and doing the encode and decode for ACE
accordingly.  This is all we need to make ACE work.  Leaking issues will be
left out both for administrators to see and diagnose as well as to incent
them to upgrade later to UTF8 compliant programs.

Edmon