RE: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

2002-04-02 09:10:04
I believe that Einar could be most easily satisfied with something along
the lines of a UTF8HEADERS ESMTP extension, which would specify both
that 8 bit character are permitted in the header and that those
characters MUST be interpreted as UTF-8.  It would be expected that this
extension would normally be used in conjunction with 8BITMIME [1] or
BINARYMIME [2].  The challenge is that any mail relay implementing this
extension MUST be able to downconvert headers to 7-bit RFC 2047 [3]
compliant encoded words if the next hop does not support UTF8HEADERS.

This would seem to be a middle ground between Dan's desire for
just-send-8 and other's demand that existing RFC 2821 [4] compliant
relays not be broken by adding support for UTF-8 headers.

This should be an easy RFC to write up.  If there is interest from
implementers, I would be happy to do so.  In any event, I would suggest
taking follow-up to ietf-smtp [5].

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1652.txt
[2] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3030.txt
[3] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2047.txt
[4] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt
[5] http://www.imc.org/ietf-smtp/

          - dan
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan(_at_)dankohn(_dot_)com>
<http://www.dankohn.com/>  <tel:+1-650-327-2600>