Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

2002-04-02 13:50:02
Secondly, the proposed nameserver will definitely handle the original
form
of DNS...

OK, in context, I thought you were talking about dropping 7-bit stuff
altogether.

That's the point, we are not saying that we should drop all 7-bit and go for
8-bit, we said:
let's come up with a plan to be able to use 7-bit ACE now and be able to
transition to UTF8 without another further upgrade, so the transition will
be transparent to the users.

So, the idea is to respond in ACE if asked in ACE; respond in 8 if asked
in
8 (also include the associated ACE to be used incase destination
servers...http/mail/etc... are not upgraded).

OK, so then what's the advantage of UTF-8 over ACE? The range of
expression is the same; and, if you're replying with both, then the packet
size doesn't shrink.
The advantage is there are applications that support UTF8 already but there
are no software(except certain iDN client software) that support ACE yet, so
why not use UTF8 on protocol, so from applications to protocol there will be
less conversions.