Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

2002-04-02 14:50:03
required for ACE to work perfectly (including display).  What I see is
that
applications are already having some trouble going from ASCII and
local
encoding to UTF.  ACE in essence requires the conversion from local

means that a later transition from ACE to UTF-8 wouldn't reduce the
complexity much (you'd still need to talk to ACE-based servers).

There are no ACE-based servers.  the current servers can already handle
ACE!

Fine.  But you were talking about the complexity on the client side.  A
UTF-8 transition would add complexity on the client, not reduce it,
because the client would then have two cases to consider: servers that
support UTF-8, and those that don't.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer           |
|jstracke(_at_)incentivesystems(_dot_)com   |Incentive Systems, Inc.      |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.      |
|The Net regards censorship as damage, and routes around it. --|
|John Gilmore                                                  |