Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

2002-04-02 14:30:03

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Stracke" <jstracke(_at_)incentivesystems(_dot_)com>
Again you have fallen into the common underestimation of the upgrade work
required for ACE to work perfectly (including display).  What I see is
that
applications are already having some trouble going from ASCII and local
encoding to UTF.  ACE in essence requires the conversion from local
encoding
toUTF first and then toACE.  I see trouble here...

Yeah, but I suspect it's smaller than you think; once you've got UTF-8 in
place, adding the UTF-8/ACE conversion would be a lot simpler.  In any
case, I don't think we can do without ACE, at least as a transition, which
means that a later transition from ACE to UTF-8 wouldn't reduce the
complexity much (you'd still need to talk to ACE-based servers).

There are no ACE-based servers.  the current servers can already handle ACE!
that is the good thing about ACE!  I believe it makes sense to go with ACE
as a transition, but I dont think there needs to be an ACE server.  Servers
should be upgraded to UTF8 directly.  They will continue to accept ACE even
without requiring to do anything special because ACE is simply an English
domain name.
Edmon