Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

2002-04-04 08:35:37
This discussion resembles much of the arguments in the pre-MIME days:
"8-bit clean MTAs is enough, fix that and we're done". I didn't agree.

Now, I can't resist a followup on the "MALAYALAM" example... In
    http://www.unicode.org/charts/charindex.html        {,2,3}
I looked for
    cat charindex*.html | egrep '>2E|2E<'

Unless I'm misstaken 0x2E == US ASCII '.'. Of course, this character
never occurs inside the DNS itself, since it's the separator and is
coded as such in all DNS transactions (implicitly coded in the length
fields, rather).

But, how are "8-bit clean" applications supposed to handle domain
names where these symbols occur mixed with "normal" US ASCII domain
symbols & separators - think of

    www."PEACE SYMBOL".org
    www 0x2E 0x26 0x2E 0x2E org

(this discussion could have made use of some of that :-). So, there
is a need to encode anyway. My 10 öre: Let's stick with an encoding
that is "as little destructive as possible", i.e. 7 bit US ASCII, and
leave all the fancy improvements for the future.

        Gunnar Lindberg

ALL AROUND-PROFILE              232E
BELOW, COMBINING BREVE          032E
BREVE BELOW, COMBINING          032E