Re: Global PKI on DNS?

2002-06-12 07:51:40
On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:09:09 PDT, Peter Deutsch said:

You don't need a unique root if you're willing to relax the prior
constraint that you absolutely must prevent name conflicts. I know that
voicing this idea is considered an indictable (if not excommuncable)
offense to many folks in this community, but frankly the prospect of
such collisions as an alternative to the current mess just doesn't seem
to me to be such a horrible alternative.

I'm sure you'd be pleased if half the replies to your mail bounced because
there's no 'pdeutsch' at the OTHER earthlink.net.  Of course, your mail
to keydist(_at_)cafax(_dot_)se probably bounced too, as did
isdf(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org, because
you got the "wrong" versions of each, and wanted to send to the OTHER one.
25% of the URLs mailed to you wouldn't point to anything in YOUR DNS.

Of course, typosquatters would love not having to wait for people to make
a typo....

But hey - if you think it's preferable to the current mess (which is
mostly political rather than technical), just remember that it's usually
unwise to use a technical solution for a social problem....

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer