Re: Global PKI on DNS?

2002-06-08 15:44:47
In message <B927B8AE(_dot_)C5DC%david(_dot_)conrad(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com>,
David Conrad writes:
On 6/8/02 6:22 AM, "Steven M. Bellovin"
<smb(_at_)research(_dot_)att(_dot_)com> wrote:
DNS packets are limited to 512 bytes.

No they are not.  They are limited to 64K.  Even without EDNS0, a large
response can fall back to TCP.  You know this.

I was excluding EDNS0, since I thought it wasn't widely implemented.  TCP
fallback is, as you are painfully well aware, expensive.

Few MTUs are larger than 1500.

What is the average size of a CERT (honest question, I have no idea)?

Good question -- and I don't think there's any one answer.

Anyway -- the concept is called "appkeys", and has been discussed in
the dnsext working group.  Check the archives.

I thought APPKEY was addressing putting non-self-validating keys into the
DNS, relying on DNSSEC to insure a chain of trust.

Technically, you're right, but a number of the essential concepts are
the same, including the key one that the record you're looking for has
to have a name in DNS space.

                http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)