Re: Trees have one root

2002-07-29 20:51:25
Peter,

IMO, a good summary of some of the real issues.   Let me add one
more piece of the story, which I'm surprised you didn't comment
on.  Several of us have made, and are making, significant
efforts to get directory-like "above DNS" services in place to
address the clear user need for more and better naming.  Those
efforts have gotten good responses from some parts of the
community.

But, from others, including (apparently) most of the "alternate
root", "multiple root", and "superroot", crowds, the response is
"more TLDs" or "more root choices, but ICANN is expected to
cooperate and accept whatever names we come up with first", or
things that are semantically indistinguishable from "the only
problem with a single root is that I should be in charge, not
ICANN".  And that leads some of us to start wondering what
species of snake is being used to produce all of that fragrant,
multipurpose, oil.

regards,
     john

--On Monday, 29 July, 2002 19:15 -0700 Peter Deutsch