Re: Trees have one root

2002-07-30 09:51:31
Peter Deutsch wrote:

So maybe we need to be
talking about extending the protocol, maybe even asking for
a new port number,

You could probably avoid the need for a new port number by saying "all
our experimental registrations will be rooted under
experiment.gydig.com" (or whatever).  Then a MumbleService resolver
looking up "foo.bar" would do a DNS lookup on
"foo.bar.experiment.gydig.com".  In effect, you'd get a root for
MumbleService names without having to introduce an extra set of root
servers for people to configure.

A multivalued keyword service could be done this way, for example: to
resolve the keyword "nutcase", you would do a lookup on
"nutcase.keywords.experiment.gydig.com", and return all the records
found.  You could even set things up so that multiple keyword registries
could coexist: the keyword resolver does an NS lookup on
"keywords.experiment.gydig.com", and then consults all the servers it
finds and combines the results.  (This design is too simplistic--it
wouldn't permit load balancing across multiple servers for the same
registrar--but you get the idea.)

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centivinc(_dot_)com                  |