Re: Correcting an incorrect assertion. Was: Re: delegation mechanism...

2002-08-03 20:14:35
Very Interesting Ari;-)...  See my comments below;-)...

At 10:47 AM -0700 8/3/02, Ari Ollikainen wrote:
Hello Dave Crocker;-)...

Again, your message describes precisely what you did to me personally over a several year period of stalking beginning with your work with IAHC and continuing into the establishment of ICANN. I finally choked it off by simply never responding directly to anything you say or do. But, here I find that you are right on the money;-)...

I had been seeking a properly correct description of what you were doing, and using my theory that one's enemy often attributes to you, what he is doing himself, I now have a perfect description of the tools and the technique of your trade.

Dave - I cannot thank you enough for explaining how you do it all so well.

I think I will print it up and frame it on my office wall.

And now back into my mode of not responding directly;-)...\s

Cheers;-)...\Stef

        That's interesting...when Dave described what he characterized
        as Karl's method, I recognized it instantly as EXACTLY what
        Dave did to me several times in the past 30 years!!

        The last time he did that was at several of the BOFs Jack Drescher
        and I tried to start up a "IP based Remote Conferencing working
        group" sometime in 1992/1993. Dave's singleminded negativism about
        the subject stymied our progress to the point that we gave up
        the idea of a group which could spin off other working groups
        devoted to specific parts of the problem...

        I only emulate polite social conversation whenever put into
        a position to have to exchange words with him. Otherwise I ignore
        him and his mostly bombastic pronouncements.

I make no claims to being the sole beneficiary of Dave's lavish attention, but he certainly stalked me constantly for several years, even after I stopped responding directly to his attacks. I have it all recorded in some obscure archives.

At one point, we allowed him to participate in ORSC discussions, where we had set up some very reasonable rules for maintaining civil discourse, but Dave, in keeping with his methodology, used our rules against ourselves in the most cunning ways.

We finally had to throw him out. One way to control his presence was to move our lists out of ICANN range, and work in ORSC territory. There are some real values to being out of reach from the ICANN roots;-)... I see no rules or protocol problems that would prevent groups from setting up private roots for private communication purposes. Well, there is one problem. Every mail relay server needs to be able to resolve the domain name of the final destination, and recent spam defenses also require that the senders domain name also resolves from its choice of root service.

I expect that there are many people out there who have suffered as we have, but I see no reason to flush them out, now that we have Dave's own words to explain the whole situation.

Thanks again Dave;-)... This is even better than a forced apology...

My entire approach has been to sit quietly and wait for an overstepping of the boundaries, trusting that some day the situation would go beyond the tipping point. Sure enough he did it, but it was a long wait. BTW I did not even use any bait.

By the way, ICANN is on the same track, racing to the cliff trying to beat everyone else to go over first;-)... My advice is to just Let'em Go!

Cheers...\\Stef