Re: Correcting an incorrect assertion. Was: Re: delegation mechanism...

2002-08-03 19:24:22
Sigh....OK Melinda.... let me draw you a map

 > Larry Lessig has shown his books Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace
 and  in the Future of Ideas that you

YOU....plural...... caitlin and fellow IETF engineers......

No of course Caitlin did not specifically say that...... but, by asking what technologists were doing discussing something political.... THE HORROR,..... he raises the engineering point of view that tends to abhor involvement in political discussions.

Lessig has offered a powerful critique of the problems that view can lead to.

I think that the vast majority of readers of this list have looked at ICANN as a political animal whose behavior was something they wanted nothing to do with. I also think that ICANN's behavior has now become so egregious in the attempts of its spokespeople on this list to deflect the findings of the superior court that ICANN had violated the law in refusing a director the right legally stipulated by california to inspect IACNN's book that they finally couldn't take it any more and as Donald Eastlake did, they stood up and expressed their strong dismay.

Vint Cerf as co-author of TCP/IP has one of the most important technology achievements of the past century to his credit. It has been really sad to see him now in the new century contribute his reputation to the defense of this "entity" named ICANN. As 'captain' of the ICANN board it's sad to see him so determined to go down with his ship.

 attempt to pretend that laws and
 politics and economics have no effect on technical issues at your
 peril.

You'll note that he didn't post that here.

Not sure what your point is. Caitlin suggested that IETF should stick to its engineering and ignore what appeared to be just a political matter. I pointed out that Lessig in his two books has demonstrated very eloquently that engineers will ignore politics at their peril.

Thanks for not littering,

??????

your point?

Melinda

The COOK Report on Internet, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA (609)