RE: Palladium (TCP/MS)

2002-10-21 16:27:55
"Here is my preferred solution for Internet security. We could implement
a secure user identity system precisely like telephone Caller ID. It
would be essentially an Internet ID. All Internet transactions could be
based on it. Anyone who sends me e-mail can be identified. Anything I
send can be traced to me. People wouldn't be forced to participate, but
if they remain anonymous, I might choose to block them. I certainly
wouldn't accept file attachments from them. I know you hate this idea,
but I think the Internet needs a fingerprint. It does not have to have
personal information, but if you break the law it can be traced to you.
You can choose not to have a fingerprint, but then your ability to
communicate with others may be limited -- a price many people may choose
to pay. "

What i "quickly" read is that the author of the article is looking for a
system that put an ID on the sender of e-mails. This solution exists, it
is called S/MIME. Unfortunately, it is not widely used and poorly
implemented at a global level (unlike DNS). Also deploying digital
signature is only possible at company level, because nobody trustworthy
issues you a certificate that allows you to sign certificates.

The ISOC WG on PKI may help, see also the thread on Global PKI on DNS on
tht IETF list to find out the extent of the problem.

But it is not the first time I hear people wanting to digitaly certify
e-mails, personnal e-mails ,or commercial e-mails from respectable
companies (cf SPAM meeting before INET2002).

Cheers.
BTW I digitally signed this message, to make you understand some of the
problems of implemeting S/MIME.

Franck Martin
Network and Database Development Officer
SOPAC South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission
Fiji
E-mail:  <mailto:franck(_at_)sopac(_dot_)org> franck(_at_)sopac(_dot_)org
Web site:  <http://www.sopac.org/> http://www.sopac.org/
Support FMaps:  <http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/>
http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/
Certificate: https://www.sopac.org/ssl/ <https://www.sopac.org/ssl/>

This e-mail is intended for its addresses only. Do not forward this
e-mail without approval. The views expressed in this e-mail may not be
necessarily the views of SOPAC.