Re: Palladium (TCP/MS)

2002-10-23 11:33:08
On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:37:44 BST, Sean Jones
<sean(_dot_)jones(_at_)micromedical(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>  said:

Why is a PTR (or DNS) record with MS TCP different from the standard TCP/IP
record?

(Perhaps it is me in my ignorance, or lack of understanding :o) )

It's not different.  Or in any case, it's not sufficiently different to
cause an interoperation problem in this case.

The reference to RFC2821, section 10.2 was regarding the fact that having
multiple PTR records for one address *IS* legal, despite widespread belief
to the contrary.  The original point was that you'll need a router ACL to
block a lot more than one address, and keep the list of addresses up to date.

And anyhow, using a router block is a bad idea in this case.  There's two
cases - either you still have machines using that vendor's software, and you
WANT them to reach the servers so they can update, or you don't have the
software installed, in which case you don't really care if the server is
reachable..
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer