Re: IETF Sub-IP area: request for input

2002-12-06 07:43:57
In thinking about the issues of temporary areas generally and this one in particular, I've got pair of concerns that have not been mentioned so far:

(i) There is always the possibility that Nomcom selections and decisions will change the balance of consensus of the IESG on any particular issue, especially an organizational one. If there are plausible odds that a "new" IESG would reach a significantly different decision than the "old" one, the decision should, if possible, probably be left to the "new" group, rather than sticking them with sorting out the implications of a decision with which they might not agree. I don't know what to suggest about this at this stage, but I think it would be good for the community to give general guidance to the IESG that, when possible, the period between the last IETF meeting of one year and the first one of the next is not the ideal time to be making organizational decisions.

(ii) If a temporary area extends for more than a year, and one or more of the associated ADs comes up for renomination, the Nomcom has a dilemma:

        -- they can evaluate possible candidates knowing that
        some AD will need to do double duty (in two areas), both
        with regard to competencies and with regard to available
        time.

        -- they can ignore the temporary area entirely, assuming
        that their responsibility is only to deal with the
        permanent areas and that the IESG will just have to sort
        out any consequences, reorganizing itself if necessary.

Of the two, the second is probably preferable, but neither is really ideal. I suspect it argues against long-lived temporary areas.

   john