Re: IETF Sub-IP area: request for input (fwd)

2002-12-06 09:51:38

Eric Rosen wrote:
Joe> Many of these discussions (layer 2 VPNs, in particular) would be better
Joe> served  by   occuring  within  the  context  of   their  original  host
Joe> organization  (i.e., IEEE  for ethernet  over IP),  since it  was those
Joe> organizations that defined those LANs,  and they who would best comment
Joe> on the correctness (or lack) of proposed solutions.
IEEE is  certainly not the  right place to  determine how to  carry ethernet
data and  control frames  over IP networks.

They defined ethernet. It is they who would best determine how to carry ethernet over another protocol and keep current ethernet correctness.

Certainly IETF-ers would be useful participants, but keep in mind that transport protocol discussions usually focus at the transport layer (in this case, ethernet) with experts thereof, not at the IP layer.

While I am not a big fan of emulating ethernet networks over IP networks, this
is a pretty clear example of a topic that has both IETF and IEEE components,
and which needs attention from BOTH groups.

That may be the case, i.e., case for a joint group, but this is clearly outside sole-IETF scope per se.

Joe