Re: IETF Sub-IP area: request for input (fwd)

2002-12-10 09:11:21
On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 07:12:44PM -0500, Michael StJohns allegedly wrote:
a) Sunset the area with a final decision point as 12/31/2003 and a closing
date of 03/01/2004.  No further WGs will be chartered in this area.
b) Ask the Nomcom to appoint 1 area director not from the current set of
ADs for a term of 1 year. Term would run March 02 to March 03.

..

area.  In Dec 03, if there is sufficient reason to continue the area, the
NOMCOM can act to continue the appointment or to appoint another or other
ADs as well as more fully define the charter.  If not, the area can close

This is why I think a lot of this is moot.  What we actually do is going
to depend on the state of things at the instant the decision needs to be
made.  If there is reason to keep the area going then we will.  If not
we won't.  Right now there is no consensus.  The WGs will take the same
amount of effort regardless of what area they are in.  Consider (1) the
tendency of committees (that's us) to focus on the little problems
because the big problems are awkward, at least in committees, and (2)
the observation that the decisions that matter the least take the most
time.  Don't we have more important things to do?