Re: IETF Sub-IP area: request for input (fwd)

2002-12-06 12:06:58
Scott W Brim wrote:
On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 08:15:16AM -0800, Joe Touch allegedly wrote:

Eric Rosen wrote:

IEEE is  certainly not the  right place to  determine how to  carry
ethernet data and  control frames  over IP networks.

They defined ethernet. It is they who would best determine how to
carry ethernet over another protocol and keep current ethernet
correctness.

To be more specific, if anything the IEEE would want to do to carry
Ethernet over IP would require modifications to protocols which the IETF
feels protective about, the work should be done under the auspices of
the IETF.  They should give us requirements -- we know our protocols
better than they do.

Certainly - IF there are MODS to IP or other IETF protocols. So far, all I've noticed are mods to the semantics of Ethernet.

Joe