Re: a personal opinion on what to do about the sub-ip area

2002-12-10 09:15:22

Keith> In  my  experience,  IESG   has  tremendous  breadth  -  considerably
Keith> exceeding that of any single WG.

You must be  joking.  Or perhaps you  just mean that you tend  to agree with
the IESG's program of trying to preserve the academic, ivory tower vision of
the  Internet  against the  advance  of  the  barbarians (i.e.,  marketplace
forces).

Naturally  every special interest  group claims  to be  the defender  of the
values  of  the  larger community.   Since  there  is  no way  to  determine
objectively  what is  or  is not  in  the "larger  community's" interest,  a
properly functioning IESG  would not try to impose  a particular vision, but
would  just work  to  ensure  that the  output  of the  WGs  is of  suitable
technical quality. (Of course, every  attempt to impose by fiat a particular
vision  of  the  future is  portrayed  as  an  attempt to  ensure  technical
quality.)

Keith> I've certainly  seen ... the contributions  of "outside" participants
Keith> dismissed as irrelevant, by even working group chairs.

Gee, we often hear from the in-crowd  that one of the problems with the IETF
is  that the  WG  chairs  aren't forceful  enough  in dismissing  irrelevant
input.  Perhaps "irrelevant" is in the eye of the beholder.  I tend to think
that irrelevant input should be dismissed  more often by the chairs, as long
as "irrelevant"  doesn't become  a smokescreen for  "doesn't accord  with my
personal vision of the future."

Keith> I've also seen  working groups drastically exceed, and  in some cases
Keith> ignore, charters  which were  designed to limit  the harm  they could
Keith> do.

In cases  like this,  the charters are  often dictated  by the IESG,  do not
necessarily reflect a good understanding of the WG's subject matter, and may
place arbitrary  "prior restraint" restrictions on  the solution.  Sometimes
it's  difficult  to do  a  good  job while  trying  to  strictly follow  the
charter.