Re: Reminder: Deadline for input on sub-ip discussion

2002-12-10 09:54:22
We found out at the meeting that the vast majority wanted to keep
the area. But to say the least... I was suprised.

This doesn't surprise me.  Nearly every working group wishes to perpetuate
itself indefinitely, long after its charter goals have been met (and often
grossly exceeded).  People who are concentrating on a particular problem
inevitably tend to see other interesting problems related to the first one.
That doesn't mean it's in the IETF's interest for that group to continue
to exist.

I suspect the same dynamics apply to an area - people working in that area
naturally value their work, and are afraid that IETF will not support
additional work of that kind if the area goes away.

My recommendation is to disband the current sub-ip area as originally planned.
It might be that a new area with similar focus should be created soon.
But the current area was expressly designed to be limited in duration, and
perpetuating it would probably be a mistake.  By shutting down the current area
it would be possible to "start over" with a clean slate - to carefully consider
whether a new area is appropriate, and if so, whether its focus should be
changed
from that of the prototype sub-ip area.

Keith