RE: Reminder: Deadline for input on sub-ip discussion

2002-12-10 08:50:29
Bert,

The explanation helps.   Most of my comments were in hindsight
and I didn't intend to cast any blame on you (or Scott) for
being surprised.  And, given the situation in which you found
yourselves, and the IESG generally, after Atlanta, I think the
way this is being handled is probably among the better solutions
possible.  I certainly applaud it if the alternative is that the
IESG go off in secret and make a decision with no broad
community input -- and I assume that, given the time
constraints, that _was_ the alternative.

But, in hindsight,...

(i) I don't like these sorts of surprises that leave little time
to think about an important issue.  I don't think anyone does.
I think all of us who have been around the industry for a while
understand that they happen.  But, when they happen regularly, I
begin to wonder about the management processes that seem to be
unable to prevent them.  That is a general problem if it is a
problem at all, the Sub-IP area issues may or may not be an
example or symptom.

(ii) This is either an issue that was important enough to
discuss with the community or it isn't.  If it is, then it
should have been mentioned at the plenary and called to the
attention of the IETF community as other than an item on a
WG/area agenda.  Even if you thought it wasn't an issue until
after the [sub]area meeting, there should have been opportunity
to bring it up at the plenary and to get an announcement out to
IETF-Announce during that week indicating it was an issue the
community needed to think about.  If that didn't happen because
you folks are all just too overloaded, then that reinforces the
need for some effort to change the level or nature of the load.

     regards,
       john

--On Tuesday, 10 December, 2002 15:25 +0100 "Wijnen, Bert