RE: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...

2003-03-26 16:07:59
Michel Py [mailto:michel(_at_)arneill-py(_dot_)sacramento(_dot_)ca(_dot_)us]
wrote:

Jeroen Massar wrote:
Seeing that route filtering only gets done automaticaly for
the last couple of years and the fact that that is only a
route + ASN mapping I don't see why all of a sudden there
will be some magical solution for renumbering complete networks.

Fred Baker wrote:
Really? I started to design such a procedure, and it's not
terrifically  hard if you set your sights correctly.
[SNIP]

Really?
What do you do for:
- Route-maps.
- Prefix-lists.
- Access-lists.
- Customers that are stupid enough to configure links to your EDI
systems with a hard-coded IP instead of a FQDN?
- Firewall configs.
- Suppliers that have configured your systems in their hosts.allow.
- etc.

Thanks Michel for listing the things that I once forgot too.
I also had the idea that it 'was simple to renumber' untill someone
pointed out to me that DNS + routers are not everything :(
Especially

But I do like Fred's point in making a procedure/document which
at least documents all the points which one will come across
when one is going to renumber. I think the identification of
these points alone could be quite valuable. Thoug admittedly
it all is quite based on which hard+software one is using
and those can vary a lot.

Greets,
 Jeroen