RE: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...)

2003-03-26 15:50:45
At 1:38 PM -0800 3/26/03, Tony Hain wrote:
I am not arguing that every app need to know about topology. If this is
such a big deal, we should simply fix the API so that by default it only
returns global scope addresses, then add a new function for those apps
that are interested in the limited scope.

Those two sentences don't line up. Either things that use addresses need to know about network topology, or they don't.

And it's not just applications. Security services like IPsec are also equally affected by having to know that "ah, I'm actually doing something site local, so I need to prompt the operator for a prefix and then use that prefix in many places in my security logic".

It's not just an API question.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium