Re: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...)

2003-03-26 19:33:46
From the reading of the draft, it would appear that much of the pain for applications with SL is caused because the apps violated the contract. Actually, its a wonder any of these would work in v6 at all given the description of the problem (address leaks).

-andy

Michael Mealling wrote:

Its not that 'we don't want to change because its to much work'. Its
that the Internet architecture assured us that the hour glass model
applied, that the network topology would remain abstracted within what
to us is an opaque address space. One of the number one reasons its so
easy for new application layer technologies to be deployed is that a
developer doesn't need to know or care about any layer below TCP (or, in
rare cases, UDP). If the lower layers want to change that hour glass
model then we're talking about a serious breach of contract with the
layers above it and a dangerous blow to the hour glass model.

-MM