Re: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...)

2003-03-28 10:01:40
On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:29:22 -0600
John Kristoff <jtk(_at_)depaul(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 06:46:10PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
No, it's more than that.  SLs impose burdens on hosts and apps.
SLs break the separation of function between apps and the network
that is inherent in the end-to-end principle.

Is it safe to assume that the arguments (on either side) would also
apply to such things as multicast addressing and SCTP path management?

I don't think these arguments apply to multicast at all because apps
use multicast very differently than unicast, and the considerations
about address portability are different.  I suspect it does apply
to SCTP path management, but I don't know enough about SCTP to be
confident of that.