Re: IPv6, interNAT, Wi-Fi (not mobile)

2003-03-27 13:29:25

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 11:29  AM, John Stracke wrote:

S Woodside wrote:
On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 06:03  PM, John Stracke wrote:
proponents want to be able to do massive multihoming, with all participants with external links sharing those links, and all the traffic from the outside finding the shortest way in.  I won't say it's impossible, but last I heard nobody knew how to do it; the route flap would be horrible.
That said I understand that it's not a novel challenge. However this is a novel application AFAICT, and it has some characteristics that make it potentially different from the scenarios I've seen analysed (mostly mobile, or fixed but wired). The fixed wireless mesh will present a planar graph topology more-or-less, due to the inherent distance limitation of microwave signals. Also, the nodes are likely to be stable over time because they are mounted on houses or other kinds of buildings for long-term use.
The set of possible links may be stable, but their presence or absence won't be; you'll have people unplugging their machines, or rebooting them, or losing connection while someone's running the microwave.

Understood. But the stability will be much greater than in a mobile situation. I would expect the AP to be most likely in a separate box, and it to be acceptable for a few minutes to pass before recovering from downtime.

Suppose I have no direct Internet access, but I have links to three neighbors that do.  One of them has DSL, so I route through him when he's up.  But DSL seems to get flaky when it's hot (I don't know why--and I'm not positive it's true, but there are other ways to flake out, so bear with me); so, come August, his line starts going up and down every few hours.  When it does, I broadcast a route update to go through my other neighbor's modem line.  Now *every* *single* *router* in the default-free zone of the Internet (the backbone routers, the ones that don't just connect to a single upstream provider) has to track my updates.  This does not scale.  It's *such* a Bad Thing that backbone providers flat-out refuse to accept routes for individual hosts--I think most of them refuse anything smaller than a /24.

This is routing flap right? So, in this case it seems like damping such a flap would be totally appropriate ... and indeed would have a positive effect on the mesh by encouraging nodes on the mesh to produce more interconnections to oppose the effects of being cut off from routing. More interconnections, more interconnections, can have the opposite effect of increasing the health of the network (modulo routing protocols of course...)

But routing could be implemented such that the DFZ doesn't need to see all these routes. Again, I think that the planar-graph nature of the network comes into play here. Geographic routing can break up the routing into arbitrary levels of precision, so that packets are routed to continents, then provinces, then localities, then specific nodes (or whatever). In this scheme changes would only need to be propagated up to the level where they stop affecting routing decisions. It's the nature of the mesh that makes this possible whereas the current wired infrastructure, there really is no way to know "where" the bandwidth is going since wires don't discriminate distance -- but wireless (especially microwave) does.

I've seen geographic routing and various geocoding schemes involving embedding GPS etc. which is really overkill. Any given mesh segment need only know it's position roughly, and once packets reach the right general area they can be routed using a different technique that's non-geographic if that's more appropriate. In addition since they are not mobile each node need only be configured once as to its location, after that there is no change.

simon