Re: Thinking differently about the site local problem (was: RE: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...))

2003-03-28 14:44:26
% David R. Oran wrote:
%
% > Did anybody consider just handing out a /48 (or a bit smaller)
% > automagically with each DNS registration?
%
% I proposed a couple of times a /32 from which /48 can be requested
% for 'private' (never to be connected to the internet) purposes.
% I think some others have proposed a similar thing. But the opposers
% think that it won't be 'free' then... but they will be unique :)

Been there, Done it, Bought everything.
SRInic was told to split the assignments into a "connected/unconnected"
database back in the day. It was ugly when folks figured that they
really wanted to be connected and passed muster. renumbering was less
fun in the late 1980s than today.
Never want to re-introduce this concept unless/until we can get to the
point of being able to painlessly renumber the entire Internet every
20 minutes.  Now where are those ""renumbering in IPv6 is easy" cookies.

--bill