Re: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...)

2003-03-27 16:40:45

Hello folks,

I was there, and it wasn't so black and white.
It's not fair to characterize it so.

I suspect that most people there, who voted for
the elimination of site-locals, would still be
favor of enabling the features that site-locals
were intended to offer.  Perhaps the majority
position could be paraphrased as "against site-local,
but sorry to see them go".

My own vote was for elimination, but I think it
will be a mistake if there isn't a way for people
to get unique prefixes practically for free.

Regards,
Charlie P.

Keith Moore wrote:

This is so typical of the modern IETF -- 102 people were persuaded
by handwaving arguments that "something bad might happen" if a new
and useful technique were deployed, and they are being allowed to
overwhelm the 20 who were willing to dig in and find and solve any
real problems.

uh, no.  102 people finally understood just how comprehensively broken
SLs are, and managed to finally overwhelm the 20 or so who were still in
compete denial about it.

Keith