Re: Thinking differently about the site local problem (was: RE: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...))

2003-03-31 10:07:10
% >But suppose we really do have enough address space (independent of routing
% >issues).  In that context, is site local just a shortcut to avoid dealing
% >with a more general problem?  Should we have a address allocation policy
% >that updates the policies of the 70s but ignores the intermediate "we are
% >running out" steps? Should I be able to go to an RIR and ask for unique
% >space for an isolated network, justify how much of it I need, and get it
% >-- with no promises that the addresses can be routed (and, presumably,
% >without pushing a wheelbarrow full of dollars/ euros/ yen/ won/ yuan/...)?
%
% Yes, yes and yes.
%
% Margaret

        Is may be worth noting that RIRs have -NEVER- made presumptions
        on routability of the delegations they make.

--bill