RE: Thinking differently about the site local problem (was: RE: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...))

2003-04-02 10:04:08
Keith Moore wrote:

    Sounds like you both are arguing that the DNS has become
    "embedded" and the applications that use IP are unusable
    without a working DNS.

as a practical matter, this was true even in IPv4.  yes, you can
often use address literals in either v4 or v6 apps, but this isn't
practical for ordinary users on an ordinary basis.  and in both v4 and
v6, several essential apps (e.g. email, the web) have explicit
dependencies on DNS.  yes you can use address literals in email
addresses and URLs but there is no assurance that an email address or
URL with an address literal is equivalent to the same address or URL
with a domain instead of the address. Both email and the web define
their resources in relation to a DNS name, not relative to a host or
address.

of course it is possible to write apps that do not use DNS,
but this is rarely done.

Fortunatly we still all are humans and like names, not numbers :)
We'll let the numbers to computers (big fast math machines)
Our brains are more advanced and just can't cope with numbers any more
;)

Greets,
 Jeroen