Re: A simple question

2003-04-19 14:59:04
On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 03:41:37 +0700, Robert Elz said:

Is not true for site locals, as no-one anticpiates that a SL address is
all an enterprise will be using (unless it is not connected to the
internet, in which case questions of its flexibility of access don't arise).

For internet access, a global address is used.   Sites (and hosts) have both.

So if it's expected that both global and site-local addresses are available,
why are we bothering with making things more complicated?

Similarly:

  |    Once one commits to using a private address, one is committing to
  |    renumber part or all of an enterprise,

is not true of SL addresses, as one doesn't "renumber" them, one just
augments with a global address.

That's exactly *why* they're broken - if you've suddenly had a global
address show up, there's now a danger of leaking a local address, so it's
not safe to use site-local anymore.

  | I'm afraid that unless site-local includes a 'MUST renumber' requirement
  | for *BOTH* cases, it's a complete and total non-starter in my book.

IPv6 requires renumbering when an address that has been used is no longer
appropriate (which will generally be because of changed topology, which
may be local topology changes - moving a host to a different LAN, or global
ones - connecting to a different provider).   That is the only reason.
As long as prefixes remain usable, they can keep on being used, with other
prefixes added as required.

Well.. all you need to do to fix this is to make a rule that if a
global prefix becomes available, the site-local prefix is no longer
appropriate and must be withdrawn.

This *still* leaves the problem of using site-local behind a NAT, though.