Re: A simple question

2003-04-19 17:18:15
LL use can and should be reserved for bootstrapping and diagnostics.

LL is used in applications already. e.g LL addresses are commonly used
to address BGP endpoints on exchanges.

I don't think of BGP as operating at level 7.

well, BGP uses TCP as transport and most of the implementations I've
seen use POSIX socket API just like any other application. the socket
API needs let the application choose zone, and pick a suitable source
address accordingly.

I don't have a problem with LL being used for a few special-purpose things
that can deal with it, so long as we don't expect LL to work for all or even
most apps.

that is a big change in the IPv6 architecture. throwing all the cards
up in the air every second year or so (anyone recorded what the
frequency is for old and closed discussions reappearing on the ipng
list?) gets rather trying after a while. perhaps about time to shut
the IPv6 W.G down?

/ot