Re: A follow up question

2003-04-24 13:07:44
On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 03:51:40PM -0700, Tony Hain wrote:
I am accepting comments for:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-sitelocal-00.txt

Dear Sir,

Please forgive my rough tone (in fact, I have great respect for you as an
engineer), but it would be much more interesting if you wrote a document that
provided solutions for all of the problems that people have claimed
site-locals cause.  While I hear you saying that the wg should replace all of
the features that site-locals provide before removing them from the
architecture, I challenge you to instead take the impetus of fully specifying
site-locals.  I do believe, based on other comments on the list, that such a
challenge has existed for five years and has yet to be answered.  Having fully
specified site-locals, I do believe the wg would be much more willing to accept
them into the architecture.  Although I clearly am not capable of providing the
full list of questions that you must answer, perhaps the following questions
are helpful:

o In light of the fact that not every host has a DNS name, how do you propose
multi-party P2P applications should do referrals? It would be helpful if you
established the normal mode of operation for such situations.

o Should site-locals be put in DNS?  Should multiple views of DNS be used?  If
so, how do you address the apparent apprehension in the DNS community toward
multiple views (I don't know about this first-hand--I've only read about it
from this list)?  Should zone information be kept in DNS?

o Do you foresee all nodes being multi-site nodes?  If I'm at work and wish to
use both my work network *and* my home network via a VPN connection, I expect
I would want my laptop to be a multi-site node.  If this is the case, do I
need to use %interface_name at the end of all IP's I give to applications I
use?  How would DNS lookups work on a multi-site node if site-locals are stored
in DNS?

o If, as you say, we should provide site-locals because, "we need to meet the
network manager at his comfort zone and provide a familiar tool," how do we
convince the network manager not to use NAT since this is also a familiar tool
in most people's comfort zone.  I'm not willing to argue that site-locals
necessarily lead to NAT, but many people are, so you should probably have some
answer.

o Do you envision support for Margaret's idea of multiple concentric rings of
security (possibly using site-locals)?  If a node in the outermost ring is not
able to talk to a node in the innermost ring using a site-local address because
of filtering, but is permitted to use a global address, how shall applications
react when the site-local "hint" is actually misleading?

Again, I'm sure there are many more such questions, and I think it would be
helpful (and in fact requisite) that you answer such questions in an Internet
Draft in order to achieve your goal of restoring site-locals to the
architecture.  I thank you for your time and *patience* if you have made it all
the way through this message.

Best Regards,
-jj

--
Hacker is to software engineer as
Climbing Mt. Everest is to building a Denny's there.