Re: policy domains

2003-04-29 17:43:24
Stephen,

I'm glad you sent this note. One of us is under a serious misconception, and if it's you, I suspect there are a lot more like you.

Stephen Sprunk wrote:
There's reasonable arguments against private addresses, but unless
allocation policies are radically different than IPv4 practice, expecting a
public address for every host is a pipe dream.

Tell me if http://www.arin.net/policy/ipv6_policy.html addresses your concern. Particularly section 3.2. The policy, as I read it, gives just about everyone a /48. When counting subnets and interfaces on routers, consider that the equivalent of an IPv4 /16. That's a lot of space. According to the above document, there's no real experience of someone having hit that point yet.

Eliot