Re: requiring payment (was spam)

2003-05-28 16:38:29
Simon,

I have repeatedly asserted that the current free SMTP service or
equivalent would be preserved. You could choose with any degree of
filtering you choose to accept postage free mail. You could choose to
only accept free mail or all free mail.

I frankly don't see random free mail as an important part of the internet
dynamic. People who who send email from work for personal perposes are
often violating published AUP, even if it is not enforced. They are often
using work time to do personal work. One of the 'hidden' costs of the
internet revolution which is likely to receive more focus over time. I
don't see any reason why protocol design should accomadate theft or
other violations of employer policies.