Re: requiring payment (was spam)

2003-05-28 13:54:25
Hello Dave Morris ---

It would be helpful if you would explain how this payment system of
yours might actually work in real life.

Perhaps like TELEX worked before it died, with settlements between
the first posing ISP to the last receiving ISP, with "settlement"
payments spread across all ISPs in between.

Of course this leads to bilateral agreements among al the thousands of
ISPs, and collective agreements among the mass of global ISPs.

Now, consider the cost of such arrangements, to cover the frictional
costs of just being in business, plus the required profit margins that
accrue to any such massive payment shuffling.

Everyone here advocating payments do not seem to understand the overhead costs
of collecting and distributing the money.

Be careful of what you wish for! -- You just might get it!

Cheers...\Stef

Simon,

The proposals haven't been to eliminate free email, only to provide an
alternative which folks can require be used to send them email if they
haven't established a free relationship with the sender.

In the USA today, it costs $.37 to send a physical mail. I don't think it
unreasonable for someone sending me mail to pay a similar fee and
conversely for me to pay such a fee for each of my posts to the IETF list,
even though I would expect the list to use a free channel to distribute
the result.

I don't believe there is any right to free mail or email service so I
don't see a reason to be overly concerned that a user of a community
computer can't send free email. In addition to the free email channel
which would have to continue to exist, providers of 'no charge' email
services such as the bottom end Yahoo service could offer some number of
free stamps per month combined with credits I suggested for receiveing
postage paid mail, folks with marginal economic situations should be able
to participate in email.

Dave Morris