Re: requiring payment (was spam)

2003-05-28 12:44:34
David writes:

In the USA today, it costs $.37 to send a physical
mail. I don't think it unreasonable for someone
sending me mail to pay a similar fee ...

You can pay me via PayPal.  Looking at my inbox, you owe me $1.48 already.

... conversely for me to pay such a fee for each
of my posts to the IETF list ...

Who would pay the fee for the sending of each post to each list member?
Shouldn't you be paying for that, too, since it is your post?

Looks like the bill is up to $20,000 or so now.  Will that be cash, card, or
check?

... even though I would expect the list to use a
free channel to distribute the result.

Why?  If you want people to pay you, why shouldn't you pay everyone else?