RE: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-05-29 17:09:15
The ECPA permits ISPs and telecos to reveal the identification of the
participants in a communication.  Though, the Privacy Protection Act may
impose some additional requirements. Usuaully, ISPs have no interest in
providing this information without a warrant or subpoena. Privacy is part
of the service customers purchase.

In the current system, it is not hard to nail down the originator, given
there is Law Enforcement interest in finding our the identity. An IP
address works just as good as a phone number. Even an open proxy has logs,
or can be logged.

In some cases, it has been hard to find out the identity via a civil
action, as in the RIAA V Verizon. That case is not yet decided. AOL had a
somewhat similar case, where it resisted a subpoena for identification.
That case has some quirks, though. The plaintiffs also didn't want to be
identified, and I think it was considered to be frivolous or malicious
suit. I don't remember all the details.

However, sans Law Enforcement requests, or civil subpoenas, it is
difficult. It is unlikely that would change, though.  And privacy groups
would want to keep it that way, at least so that a court would decide
whether the identity is wanted for frivolous or malicious reasons. I
support the EFF in this view.

Anyway, with Type 1 and Type 2 spam, this is unnecessary, since they tell
you how to contact them in the message. It is only hard with Type 3 abuse,
which is generally involved in crimes that Law Enforcement could pursue,
but won't, for lack of interest.

                --Dean