RE: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-05-30 14:10:14

On Fri, 30 May 2003, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Friday, 30 May, 2003 14:09 -0400 Dean Anderson
<dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com> wrote:

And John has obviously never been involved in a Law
Enforcement request. But I have.  Private emails to him seem
to confirm this, or at least he didn't indicate anything to
the contrary.  While he may have been working on SMTP
protocols for 30 years, he obviously hasn't been involved in
trackig abuse of various sorts, and has no idea of whether
this is expensive or difficult.

Dean, private emails to me didn't raise the issue of Law
Enforcement requests, so, no I "didn't indicate anything to the
contrary (I note that I didn't "indicate to the contrary" about
eating babies three times a week either).

You make is sound as though I didn't ask. I obviously didn't ask you if
you eat babies. But I did ask if you've ever tracked down an abuser:

This is from a private message to you:
===========================
And I've been involved with SMTP, and its predecessors, for over
thirty years now -- standards, protocol design, gateway design
and implementation, and operations and deployment in
organizations and enterprises ranging from the very small to the
very large.

But have you ever tracked down an abuser?

Have you ever sold standards based services to customers that want
standards based services?  Do you really understand why customers want
standards?

Thats operational experience.