Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-05-30 16:48:52
Tony,

The POP->IMAP example is excellent, since it really
demonstrates my point. IMAP is rather popular in some local
TH> Could that be because from the end user perspective IMAP doesn't provide

somehow I can't imagine that it would be useful to the main line of this
thread to explore reasons for particular outcomes.

I asked for examples. Some were offered. I believe none demonstrate what
I asked for. All the rest is secondary to an already-congested thread
(though entirely worthy of an extended bar bof.)

Seriously folks, if discussion about changes is going to be
productive, it needs to pay much more realistic attention to
history and pragmatics of ISP operations and average-user preferences.
TH> the few times there are requirements docs the IETF has a history of
TH> discounting the needs of the end user or network operator, while it
TH> places a premium on minimizing developer effort.

One of the things that cropped up during the Problem WG "editing team"
discussions was a view that Operators used to be an integral part of the
IETF -- ie, "insiders" -- but have moved to be customers of our work and
not much involved in the creation of it.  As the IETF tries to find way
to check with its customers about needs, benefits, etc., we need to make
sure to count operators in that market research.

TH> The IETF is in a difficult spot, because the customer of the IETF is the
TH> vendor developer

certainly folks who create software are our immediate customers, but the
folks they produce software for are our ultimate customers.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>