Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-06-01 23:53:10
How about the cost of legitimate emails that get filtered and never
read. Not everyone scans the list to check for false positives.

In a major example of false positives, we already have examples of one
real cost of spam. AOL (as one example of many) has declared ranges of
IP addresses marked 'residential' as invalid for running a particular
application. In this case SMTP, but which app is next? There is a 'guilt by association' presumption here by the operations community, which when
carried into other applications results in substantially limited value
in the core IP protocol.

I can see the operators POV. If you have no hammer, take bulldozer. Sort of works, doesn't look pretty but is fast. The cost of handling spam is huge and there isn't much else they can do.

OTOH, I do agree with you that this is a threat to IP. I know small ISPs in Sweden who filter out a number of applications such as Kazaa and certain on-line games "as they use way to much bandwidth". This is very dangerous.

- kurtis -