Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-06-02 16:34:35

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Eric A. Hall wrote:

on 6/2/2003 4:15 PM Tony Hain wrote:

I agree with the idea of a BOF, but 'anti-spam' is the wrong focus. Spam
is a social problem, not an engineering one. I contend that is why we

I agree that this is the right approach to pursue. In fact, I think we
could probably skip the BoF and start talking about that particular topic
immediately ("secure mail", not "anti-spam technologies", which is an

Anti-spam may be a tar baby and there is a demonstrated lack of ability on
the part of the recent participants in this discussion to even agree that
Spam is a serious problem, BUT without the mantra of being able to
evaluate all technology proposals in terms of how the proposal will help
reduce unsolicited bulk mail, the effort isn't worth pursuing.

Unless the result can be demonstrated to provide features which directly
reduce the ability of the spammers to send mail, Dave Crocker's prediction
of slow/non deployment will come to pass.

There will also be (a lot?) less interest in working on the protocols.

Dave Morris