Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-06-04 07:36:35

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

I did. I created more than one e-mail address
without ever making them public, and though I
note some of them receive SPAM!

Were the addresses along the lines of "postmaster," "info," or "webmaster,"
by chance?

They must either harvest them or guess them.  For non-obvious e-mail
addresses that are never published, they cannot practically do either of
these, and so the addresses will not be spammed.

I have several accounts where the address has never been posted or
even used in any public way... They *all* get spam (and none of them
are generic addresses e.g. "info".)  At least one of them is a
combination of letters and numbers that I would have expected to
resist most dictionary spam attacks.  It did not.

-teg